Monday, December 07, 2009

RUN RUN REINDEER

After their last drop at Charlie's Produce in Spokane, WA on Sunday morning, it took all of about two nano seconds for them to receive their next assignment. There will definitely be no rest for the weary this holiday season for these two. They were told to head to Wallula, WA to the Tyson Meat Plant, and pick up a loaded trailer with four stops.....one in Vernon, CA and the other three in Phoenix, AZ. With the timeline, it was a dispatch that could only have been accomplished by a team and not a solo driver. Might as well squeeze out as many miles out of training Charles as we can until it's time to set him free to fly on his own.

I don't know why it almost always seems like Craig is stuck with the night driving. Let's face it, whether I am with him or not, when I know he is driving late, and on top of that, through inclimate weather, I don't get much sleep either. But it is what it is, and Craig was the lucky one that would take over the driving duties around 5pm after Charles got them as far as Biggs, OR.

We all have been hearing about the winter storm warnings, not only in Oregon, but get this, also in Modesto, CA where they were predicting the possibility of SNOW ! I thought I had packed up and left that behind me, at least until I get back on the truck, but there it was, plastered all over the news, that for the first time in 32 years, snow would fall. But I had my thoughts and concern more on my husband pulling an all nighter in the middle of a storm, where I knew he would get more than a trace of snowfall.

As is usually the case, the biggest concern while driving on snow and icy roads, are the four wheelers, who think that just because they have 4 wheel drive, they can drive as they normally do. This usually results in many of them sliding off the roadway, and constantly hitting their brakes, causing everyone behind them to swerve and slide. Once Craig got through the populated areas, and had most of the four wheelers behind him, he had clear sailing into Corning about 4am this morning. I was ever so thankful for a quick email update knowing that he had arrived safely.

As it turns out, this run will be short lived. Seems since they got such a great jump on this load, and drove through the night, they were promptly sent a message about 30 minutes ago to drop the trailer in French Camp. With any luck, I'll be able to drive there in a few hours and meet up with Craig for a long overdue hug and kiss, and to bring him his favorite Chinese food combination plate. As long as I'm at it, I'll get Charles one as well. Might as well keep both these busy guys happy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin