Thursday, July 09, 2009


We spent a nice relaxing evening in the drop yard in Pacific, WA Tuesday night. Even left all the windows and vents open in the truck, which a mosquito took advantage of, and proceeded to bite me in two peculiar locations.......under my chin and the side of my wrist.....go figure. Hope it enjoyed my unauthorized blood donation.

We couldn't have asked for nicer weather either. A cool breeze blowing and the temperatures in the mid 50's to low 60's......just to our liking. It wasn't until noon Wednesday that we were beeped with our new assignment. No shock there, being without a trailer and with no empties in the drop yard, we were told to head to the Fred Meyer DC in Puyallup and pick up a load at 6pm, with 4 drops in Spokane starting at 6am in the morning. Doing the quick math, we realized that if the load wasn't ready to be picked up early, it was going to be tricky to be able to complete this dispatch.No worries, as we checked in and were told the trailer was in the dock waiting to be loaded. Craig parked directly across from it in the parking lot so that I could keep an eagle eye for any movement that it was in fact being loaded. I gleefully shouted out to him in the back of the truck every time I saw a jello jiggle of the trailer and was shocked when the red light turned green after only 30 minutes. We were loaded and scaled by 2:15 and on the road to Spokane knowing that we would be able to take at least an 8 hour break before making the deliveries in the morning. Both Interstate 84 which runs along the Columbia River, and Interstate 90 through Snoqualmie Pass, rank among my favorite routes to take. I am a lover of pine trees, water, and mountains, and this route pleases me on all levels. With a quick stop in Ellensburg for a Subway sandwich, which by the way, I hope they never stop that $5 foot long deal anytime soon, we were in the Company yard in Spokane by 8pm and crawling into bed for some rest before the anticipated 4am wake up call.The four deliveries when flawlessly, and we were back in the yard by 11am. Knowing that we haven't seen Spokane in over 5 weeks, with all those dropping and swapping of loads, and that fact that I did want to be dropped off here before Craig takes some home time in August, We decided that I would leave the truck during this stop. With that in mind, we hit the Wal Mart for food supplies to last Craig the next three weeks, and of course a mandatory stop at Starbucks.I plan to stay with Craig until he leaves for his next assignment. So far he has not been dispatched on anything, but that is okay with us. That gives us plenty of time for truck clean up, laundry, showers, and a while longer to enjoy each other's company before we part ways. I'm looking forward to getting back home for a couple of weeks and then taking the last week before Craig comes home to visit my best friend Cori in Walla Walla, WA. Then I'll be more than excited to drive back to the yard to pick up Craig so we can enjoy a few days of rest at home!

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin