Monday, August 30, 2010

THE $1 CHAIR MAKE OVER

I've made it a point to check out local yard sales while I have been at home the past few weeks.  This $1 chair was one of my first finds and I knew I couldn't go wrong with purchasing it.  My first order of business was to scrub and sand it down.  Then using Rustoleum 2x coverage spray paint, I gave it two coats of Oregano green.  I really like this color for it's subtle undertones and warm hues.  After letting the paint dry for a few days, I went about distressing it with some steel wool and then giving it a final once over with Minwax finishing paste.

I knew I didn't want to invest too much money into recovering the seat, so I went down to my local Ben Franklin store, and search through all their remnant table.  After not finding anything that spoke to me, I was just about to give up, when I found the one I knew would be perfect.  What was even nicer, was that the remnant was only about a yard, but I didn't need that much.  They actually cut it down even smaller for the size I needed, costing me only $4.
Armed with my screw driver and staple gun, I first went about removing the old stained, torn material.  Then centering my new material onto the seat, I cut around it leaving enough to pull up and around the seat to recover it.  Many staples later, the seat was recovered and screwed back into place.  I really love the way it turned out and for only $7 of materials, hope that someone in Walla Walla will love it as much as I do, when I take it to my friend's retail space to sell it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This chair turned out so GREAT! It won't last long in the shop at all. I can't wait to have you here to help me get the space ready for autumn. I have so many ideas, just need the little "push" you always seem to be able to give me.

Cori

John said...

Looks Wonderful!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin