Friday, April 23, 2010


Ever since I've been back on the truck, I have refused to put on shoes. I have been more than happy to wear my flip flops everyday, rain or shine, and was adamant about refusing to wear shoes.......until this past Wednesday, when we were forced to live in snow for the better part of 30 hours. With a great Mexican lunch waiting about 200 yards away, I was finally forced to put on my shoes and trudge through 6 inch deep snow to my oasis down the street Dos Amigos. It wasn't as inspirational walking back to the truck, after all the victory was already mine with my tummy full, but cautiously I made my way back with a helping hand from Craig.

With our midnight departure from Weed, CA my flip flops were back in their rightful place, on my feet and the shoes were retired to under the bunk where I hope they will remain for quite a few months. We made the majority of our drive in darkness, but as the sun began to rise we could see in the distance that snow had even fallen as far south as the Grapevine. An early morning crop duster was our traveling companion for a few passes over a growing crop, and I was transported back in time when I noticed this old abandoned pickup next to an oil rig in the middle of a field. We made a swap, our full trailer for an empty trailer, with one of our buddies in the parking lot of the new TA in Wheeler Ridge. He had the pleasure of trying to make the delivery of the frozen french fries as it began to rain and possible snow over the Grapevine. We found a great parking spot and retreated to our bunks for a bit of rest and relaxation after an all night driving stint.We had been given our next assignment already, so we knew we had the rest of the day and night to kick back. Up this morning for a hot shower, and feeling quite refreshed, we headed to Port Hueneme for another load of pineapples, going right back to the Del Monte processing plant in Portland, Or for a Monday morning delivery. With driving hours back on the books again for Craig, it will be yet another great weekend of driving in store for us the next couple of days.


Anonymous said...

did the last trainee pass his test?

CRAIG and DIANE said...

We had heard through the grapevine that he didn't, and that we went out with another trainer for awhile. We haven't seen nor heard from him, so I would venture to say he didn't make it. His heart wasn't into driving truck anyway.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin