Sunday, March 30, 2008

I SEE THE LIGHT

We left the Company yard in Spokane, WA Friday afternoon with our sights set on getting into Montana before nightfall. We left as the wind was picking up, and the storm which we had thought we had outrun, had caught up with us. With the empty trailer, we were able to make good time going over Fourth of July and Lookout Pass, even with the roads starting to get slushy from the snowfall. Just before sunset we pulled into Missoula, MT at the same truck stop we had been at last weekend for our 34 reset. Watching local TV, we saw the weather advisory scrolling across the screen predicting 1 to 4 inches of snow during the night. Not knowing what we would wake up to, we called it a night and went to sleep.

When we woke up, Craig did his usual curtain peek to survey two things, first, if anyone had, in desperation to find a place to park, boxed us in so that we can't get out, and second, if the dreaded snow had fallen during the night. He was happy to report we had a clear escape path, and what little snow that had come during the night, had not even stuck to the ground. We still had two more passes to get over, Homestake and Bozeman, so off we went. The roads were somewhat icy, and we noticed several cars and one big rig which had slid off the roadway. We had only one moment of loosing traction, but Craig, with his winter driving skills as sharp as ever, quickly recovered and onward we went.

After Bozeman, the roads went from icy to wet, and as the Sun warmed up the pavement, the truck and trailer accumulated the dirt and grim from the roadway. We weren't alone, as every truck and trailer we saw was just as dirty as ours.

We pulled into the Flying J in Beach, ND after driving a little over 600 miles. I had only one thing on my mind, LAUNDRY. It had been almost two weeks since we had last done that chore, and I was hoping that the two lone machines they had would be available. I'm happy to report that they were, and I now had one less thing on my "to do" list, however, I must confess, as I think about it, that laundry is the only thing on my list of things to do.

So now comes the reason for the title of this entry. As we were leaving this morning at sunrise from Beach, on the horizon, through the cloud cover, the Sun was streaming through, it's rays of light, like fingers from a hand, pointing down towards the earth. The picture does not do it justice, but I mentioned to Craig, that this is how I imagine it will be like, when the time comes to cross over. A warm welcoming light to envelope me and take me to my next adventure. My husband, how I love him, says to me, " I think I'll take the elevator"

2 comments:

Mom said...

In the bible story books I used to read this is what it looked like when god spoke the world into creation. Beautiful.

Jennie said...

What a beautiful sight. That is the classic image, isn't it? I've been to Bozeman once and hubby attended a geologic field camp out near there. Thanks for the encouraging words! Can you believe I'm moaning about this art stuff so much?!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin