Saturday, April 19, 2008

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?

Take a look at the picture and notice just how low to the ground the trailer is. These trailers unloaded, are probably just 6 inches off the ground, but load a 37,000 plus pound Genie on it, and it is put to its limits.

Now I have mentioned maybe once or twice about getting stuck at a dealership and having their forklift come help us out, but I now feel, there has been enough time passed, to ease the pain of the time we actually blocked both lanes of Highway 41 in California.

To add insult to injury, the trailer was even empty, but when attempting to pull onto the highway from a side street, the very large hump in the roadway was not noticed, and just like that traffic came to a halt. A phone call to CHP, a tow truck dispatched, and we were sheepishly on our way to our destination. Oh yeah, did I mention the $300 tow bill?

I mention this as I realize this is going to be Craig's last heavy haul on these low trailers and we will have many stories to tell and retell over and over again about the times we got stuck or in jams with this trailer. Yes, I will be looking forward to a trailer that sits a bit higher than 6 inches off the ground.

Tonight, Craig is in Murdo, South Dakota with his sights set on getting to Oak Grove, Missouri tomorrow night. On our nightly phone call tonight, I asked if he had any tales to tell from the road, but he said he was mostly the only one on the road today, with not much traffic or activity to even bother mentioning. Well so much for an interesting blog entry. Oh well, as they say, there's always tomorrow!

3 comments:

rosemary said...

I don't think I have ever read a NON interesting post from you...and then there are your pictures....

Jennie said...

I don't think I've ever seen a trailer like that. My dad drove buses in the summer (teacher in school year) and he always had great stories to tell. Something about the road....

John said...

Ditto Rosemary. I can see this blog going book.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin