Saturday, April 26, 2008

THE GREAT ESCAPE

Craig made quick time getting from Tennessee to Texas and was waiting just an hour away from his first drop by Thursday night. He planned it well as he always seems to do and dropped the first boat in Lewisville, then pushed on to Austin to deliver two more boats. By 4pm he was within 45 minutes of his last drop in Houston and was calling it a day. Tired and dirty, he called me to relay the events of his day. Of course the one thing I had to ask, "How is the weather"?

I had already been checking the weather websites so I had a hunch what it would be. HOT and HUMID. I tried to hide my glee in the tone of my voice, and show some sympathy for his discomfort, but inside my head I was having a party, knowing that I would not have to endure one minute of it. Then he proceeds to tell me that he was given a dispatch to go to Pharr and then deliver some boats to Surrey, Canada. I felt bad for Craig, having to deal with the Customs and Broker paperwork, especially now that we had stripped down the truck in anticipation of him moving to another one, and had taken out the printer. But when the time comes, I'll be there for phone support to help him sort it all out.

Unlike Steve McQueen, in The Great Escape, I am free to go wherever I please, and I had noticed the forecast for the weekend climbing warmer into the 80's, and well, sorry Rosemary, but that is just unacceptable. If I could bottle it and send it to you I would. So with the prospect of some beads of sweat forming on my forehead I had to come up with a plan.

Today, I am taking my twin nieces and my Mom to the coast. I hear tell that it may just manage to get into the 60's today. I think Monterey and Carmel might be calling my name, along with my camera. Ahhhh, I can already feel the cool ocean breezes now.

1 comment:

Mark Krusen said...

Ah Diane loose on the coast with a camera. I can't wait for the results. Enjoy yourself.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin