Sunday, September 19, 2010

TWO CHAIRS FOR UNDER TWO DOLLARS

I really outdid myself on Friday when I hit a yard sale in Walla Walla, WA.  Granted the chairs themselves weren't too pretty to look at, but then hey, some mornings I don't look so hot either.  But I knew with a little face lift......no, not me, the chairs.....they could look their best.  So when I saw that they only wanted a dollar for them I picked out the nicest one and continued shopping.  When I was ready to pay, the homeowner inquired if I wanted the other one.  I really didn't, but when she offered it to me for fifty cents, I really couldn't turn it down.
Off I went to load my new found possessions into the pickup, and to Home Depot and JoAnn Fabrics I went.  I was excited to find a Chenille remnant with enough yardage to cover both seats at JoAnn's, and even more excited that it cost me only four dollars.  Then I drove to Home Depot where I purchased two cans of black flat spray paint.  Once I got them back home, I started the transformation process.  First I tightened all the screws to make the chairs sturdy again.  Then a quick sanding of the wood work, removal of the seat cushion, and a fresh coat of paint was applied. Already they were looking as good as new!
While the paint dried, I recovered the seat cushions and then distressed the edges of the chair to give it that shabby chic look.  I reinstalled the cushions and there you have it, a complete redo of an old chair bound for the dump pile all for around $5.00 a chair.  Now if only it was that cheap and easy to do something about a fantastic makeover on me!

2 comments:

Pat said...

nice. If I may ask, what can you sell it for? Sounds like a fun profitable hobby?

Unknown said...

It is just a hobby when I know I'll be in Walla Walla to sell them in my friend's retail shop. Honestly, they will most likely sell for around $15.00 each, nothing to get rich on, but we just enjoy the process.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin