Wednesday, June 20, 2007

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMMMMMM

Surviving the tornado watch in Wyoming, we ran into another major thunderstorm while in Boonville, Missouri. The massive amount of rain that fell in a relatively short time, made for a small river going down the parking lot of the truck stop we were at. The satellite TV went out for a short while, but we once again made it through another storm and continued onto our destination in Georgia. As we drove through the St. Louis area a couple of things caught my eye.


Now the thing about it is this. Most times, by the time something catches my eye, and then registers into my brain that it is either (a) funny or (b) ironic, the moment to photograph it is gone. Luckily, there is always (c) beautiful and my mind is able to recognise that quite quickly Take in this photograph and tell me if you don't find it just a bit odd. We have all heard of Yellow Cab, they seem to be in most cities, and yes, their cabs are painted yellow. As this cab went by, I read the company name, Yellow Cab, then I notice that it is in fact orange, not yellow. HMMMMMM, a good advertising gimmick? It certainly got my attention.



Having been in this truck for over a year now, and hauling items that are at the limit of height restrictions, I have made a practice of always looking at the height signs at overpasses and railroad crossing. Low clearance is normally anything below 13'6" . The height of a tractor trailer rig can be around 13'5" , so when I saw this sign along side the Interstate as we were approaching an overpass, I had to stop and think. Since when is 15' considered low clearance? HMMMMMM, I guess if you were hauling an oversize load, but then you are usually routed where you won't be confronted with any height obstructions.


On a side note, both Craig and I watched the History Channel Sunday night and took in the new series "Ice Road Truckers". I have to say, my stomach was in knots as we watched the drivers take to the ice roads. Although our travels on an ice road in Yellowknife were relatively short, compared to the 300 plus miles they drive, I could absolutely relate to what they were going through. And to be honest with you, I appreciate the experience we had doing it, but if given the opportunity to do it again? HMMMMMM........ check back with me after the series is over.

1 comment:

rosemary said...

OK, that truck in the snow is beyond scary...I am freaked in the snow in my Subaru!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin