Saturday, June 23, 2007

FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA


You may be wondering what the information is on our latest dispatch. When we dropped in Austell, GA, we were sent to Edgewater, FL and from there to Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. Basically we are going from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, well over 3000 miles. We have traveled from the North/South Border, from Mexico to Canada several times, but this is the first time going literally from east coast to west coast. Of course you all know how thrilled I am about another border crossing, and now that both Craig and I can laugh about it, the same border crossing we were almost stranded at last year.


Here is the picture of the original loading of the three boats










And now the final configuration



With our loading fiasco behind us, and thankfully about 11 hours of sleep Thursday night, we feel rested and ready to go, if only it wasn't for the humidity. I can not begin to explain how hot and humid it was in Florida and Georgia. I guess if you were born and raised there you are used to it, but being from California, I am not, nor would I want to get used to it.

Another thing I do not like is traffic. Having worked in the San Francisco bay area for 16 years, I know a thing or two about traffic jams. We were unfortunate to be in the Atlanta, GA area too close to quitting time on Friday afternoon. On top of that, it was the same time Vice President Dick Cheney decided to make his escape to Dobbins Air Force Base. They completely shut down I75 for his grand exit which left us sitting in a massive parking lot which once masqueraded as a Interstate as the photo shows.

We are doing our best to deal with the oversize limitations, like no traveling one half hour before sunrise or one half hour after sunset. Also, even though we are given the bypass at weigh station with our PrePass, due mainly to our light load with the boats, when you are oversize, regardless if you are given the bypass signal you must enter the weigh station and drive over the scales. Lastly, reading the permits, and we have 13 sets of them for the States we will be going through, almost takes a degree in deciphering government talk. Now you would think with my government background this would be a piece of cake...well it isn't. Every time you read it, the meaning seems to change as to what route you need to take, time restrictions, do you need oversize signs, etc. I find it strange that some of the States do not want you to drive on Sundays. Haven't quite figured that one out as I think Sundays would be a slow traffic day, but who am I to say? I'm just viewing it from the passenger seat, humming America the Beautiful.......from sea to shining sea.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin