Friday, June 15, 2007

DOCTOR DOCTOR GIVE ME THE NEWS


Back near the first of the year, upon our return from Yellowknife, I talked about one of my worst fears realized, a dental emergency. Having lived through that, and knowing that a dentist was only a Google search away, when the need arose for me to find a doctor, I didn't go into a panic. I had developed a swollen gland under my neck which was a result of a staph infection which had decided to take up residency in my body. This exact same thing happened to me 15 years ago, so I at least knew what it was. Now the question was, who do I see about it. We were in Canada, and the thought of utilizing their medical facilities crossed my mind, but I opted to wait until we were back in the USA.

My best course of action was to find an Urgent Care facility. Driving to Moses Lake, two days into this ailment, I thought I would just find a clinic in the Spokane area. So picture this if you will. On Highway 95, going south through Sandpoint, ID I scream out at Craig " Pull over, I see an Urgent Care Center". Craig ever alert to my screams, sees his avenue of escape from the roadway and pulls over. I grab my cell phone and wallet, jump out of the cab and contemplate the obvious.....Why did the chicken cross the road? Of course, to get to the other side, where I am hoping the cure is waiting for me. This is easier said then done, as there seems to be a never ending line of traffic coming in both directions. But ever patient, (if you believe that, I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you), I found my opening and made a dash for the other side. WHEW.... I made it and walked the short distance to see the doctor.

I was surprised to see only one person sitting in the waiting room. I filled out the mandatory medical forms, gave insurance information and sat down for what I was sure would be a long wait. No longer had I crossed my legs and got comfortable and the door opened and my name was called. A quick check of vitals, a tap on the door and in walked the Doctor who agreed with my assessment of my ailment. With prescription in hand, I made my dash again across the highway and was sitting back in my seat all within 20 minutes. Did you read that right? Yes, 20 minutes! Unbelievable! Later when we arrived in Moses Lake I was able to get the prescription filled and am happy to report I am on the road to recovery.

Speaking of roads, we loaded up a Genie S-80 and are headed to Austell, Georgia. I can now say goodbye to cool weather......Hello, hot and muggy.

1 comment:

rosemary said...

You are so in trouble. If you EVER are going through Sandpoint again and don't call I'm going to be really irritated. I'll email the #. I hope it wasn't Dr. Rust you saw.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin