Friday, May 13, 2011

DIAMONDS ON MY MIND


I'm not talking about the sparkly diamonds, as I've never been much of a jewelry lover.  No, I'm talking about a classic harlequin pattern, to which I have been addicted to lately painting on furniture and other items.  It all started with this old cupboard door which we purchased back in February during our little picking trip to Heppner, OR.  It has been just sitting in the garage waiting for us to give it some attention.
 I finally did some research on the easiest way to create this classic design, and thought I had it all figured out.  That was when I had to put in an emergency call to Craig for his assistance.  As he walked me through the calculations and dimensions, I took detailed notes, and when the phone call was finished I went to work.
It's all in the prep work on this pattern, with a lot of lines drawn here and there, and then dots placed at mid points of intersecting lines ,connecting those points , and you can see when it was all completed, how it could get confusing on which area needed to be painted.  But slow and sure wins the race, and the end product was this great coat/hat holder which would look great in a mud room or entry of a house.
So I was on a roll and didn't want to stop, so when I purchased this little table at Goodwill for just $6.00 I knew the little drawer front would look great with the harlequin pattern.  This time I was able to figure out the math equation without Craig and went to town painting the drawer front a mix of red and gray.  Then I painted the rest of the piece red, and finished it off with some brown wax.  I couldn't be happier with how this little table turned out.  I'd love to take it home with me, but it will be for sale at Farm Chicks in just three weeks.

My next quest was to do something with this old ironing board that we found.  Sure it's cool on it's on, looking all old and vintage, but Cori suggested doing a harlequin pattern on it as well.  She didn't have to tell me twice, and I had my pencil and ruler out marking all my lines, and by the end of the day, we had a pretty snazzy looking vintage ironing board, which will also be loaded up to take in Spokane.



Now it's time to get back into the workshop and get busy on the last remaining items we need to finish up before heading to the big show!

I'm linking to   Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin