Wednesday, January 30, 2008

PUPPET ON A STRING

What is it about life, that when you really need to be somewhere at a certain time, and you have done all the planning that you can, but it feels like someone else is playing you like a puppet on a string? As I mentioned before, we are trying to get home, but they gave us this run to Canada, a lot of miles, but no closer to home, and no definite idea when we will be home. This run was already a change to our routine, when we had to alter the hours we normally drive. Then last night the near white out conditions in Wyoming, (I know, been there, done that), and then to wake up this morning and have to deal with mechanical problems, when all we want to do is get closer to our final destination.

Poor Craig, he did his usual vehicle inspection in sub zero temps, with the wind still blowing, and found a strapping problem. He needed my help, so out we go into the bitter cold until we could no longer feel our toes or fingers, let alone anything else. Move over to the fuel island for some better lighting, and find we have an air line problem. Walk to the store, grab hot coffee while we are there, and back out to the cold to try and repair the problem. What started with us trying to get an early start to counteract the late night driving just came crashing down on us.

But the skies were blue, the clouds were white, and I saw more deer in Wyoming and Montana than I have ever seen in my entire life. In fact, we had to stop behind another truck as a large group of them skipped across the highway and leaped over the wire fence and off on their merry way.

Sometimes no matter how much you think you are in charge, there always seems to be someone else pulling the strings. But hey, we got each other, we got the warmth of the truck, some nice scenery and wildlife to look at, and the knowledge that tomorrow is always another day.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I find I live most of my life in
plan B. Something always interferes with plan A.Being adaptable is the only way to survive no matter what you do in life.

John said...

After driving for so many years I am not sure that I can remember a time when everything went according to plan from the git-go. That's the life of a driver I guess.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog; it's great!That picture of the deer makes it seem like everything is worth it. Beautiful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin