Wednesday, January 16, 2008

IT'S ALL IN THE NAME

We made it to Minot as I had mentioned in my last entry, and spent the night being rocked to sleep by the wind which followed us from Canada. Upon arising in the morning, Craig started the truck to do his vehicle inspection and get some heat going, and the air pressure in the brakes would not rise above 30psi. Not a good thing, as the truck will not move unless it has enough air pressure to stop. Not only that, but because of the sub zero temperatures, when the truck was on for heat, we had a constant beeping from the warning light.

After talking to road service, and waiting 3 hours for a mechanic to show up, we watch as he tries everything he can think of to unfreeze the air line. Then surmises it might also be the air dryer that could be faulty. We can’t move, we need to get to his shop, so back on the phone to road service to get us a tow truck dispatched. It was an interesting ride sitting in the cab of our truck while being towed to the repair shop at the truck stop down the road, but I admit, I prefer going forward to backwards!

So here is where a little bit of irony comes into the picture. I think I might have commented on this early on in my blog, but in Minot, there is a truck stop and restaurant called Schatz. That is where we had to be towed to try and get the truck repaired. Our name is Shantz. Now you know, some where back in time, we were probably of the same clan, and on Ellis Island, one of the clerks just happened to spell it differently from the others. But I’m thinking, hey we’re family, maybe they will cut us a deal.

No deals were cut, but three hours later, and after listening to a bunch of men cuss and mutter about their job, to which I am thankful we have a job we love, we finally got to start it up and see if the air pressure builds. It does! With a new air dryer component installed we were finally ready to hit the road. Thank goodness we had plenty of time to still get to the boat plant, even if it will be really late tonight. Well, at least I found my People magazine to read along the way!

1 comment:

rosemary said...

I remember from nursing school and transport training....always push the patient so they see where they are going not where they have been.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin