Saturday, January 05, 2008

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

It was a dark and stormy night.......... If you thought Snoopy penned that immortal line, you're about to learn otherwise. The words are actually from the 1830 novel, 'Paul Clifford' by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, widely held to contain the worst opening sentence of any novel in the English language. This is no novel, but it was actually a dark and stormy night, in the middle of a cornfield in Indiana last night. It rained and the wind howled and in the light of day, after waiting 28 hours, we were finally unloaded.

It was a slow and painful process, with too many chiefs and not enough worker bees. After being summoned to follow a worker to a windmill location, we sat some more. Finally, after watching 3 other trucks get unloaded, the slow procession of the cranes made their way towards us. In the midst of the mud and snow, the hub was slowly lifted and set down in the cornfield to await the rest of the windmill components. And with that we were on our way, but to where? We had no place to go but to the nearest truck stop to wait until Monday for our next dispatch. Hmmmm, I guess I could use that time to try and write the second worst opening sentence of a novel.

4 comments:

John said...

Again, I hate the waiting around. Lucky for me that doesn't happen very often.

rosemary said...

My mother used to tell me that.....It was a dark and stormy night when you were born rosemary....except I eventually found out I was born in the morning.

Anonymous said...

i miss ya!!! hope to see you soon...


Love
steph

orangetrucker said...

Craig & Diane, Thanks for your comments on my blog. It's not much yet but I hope to keep it updated while I am in training and then on the road. I see you have some ties to the central valley, I now reside in Clovis, but grew up on the beautiful central coast in Cambria,CA. Your blog is so well done and really shows your love of the road. The updates are A-1 and the photos are outstanding. Keep up the good work, and who knows maybe in a few months I'll see you guys on the road!
Regards,

Mark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin