Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A ROOM WITH A VIEW


Like the main character in the film A Room With A View, Lucy Honeychurch, I too came at a crossroads in my life where I was faced with a decision to make. Should I opt for a safe, secure journey into my pre-retirement years, keeping a job that no longer gave me joy, or throw it away for a bohemian, unpredictable lifestyle in which I would be nowhere long enough to even think about putting down roots. Choosing my own Mr. Emerson, my husband Craig, I took the plunge and have happily never looked back or regretted my decision. I now have my own room with a view, and as the subtitle of this blog site states, it is my life from the passenger seat.

Everyday, sitting high up in my seat, my feet plopped up on the dash, my computer in my lap, and when Craig can tolerate it, my singing out loud and enthusiastically to music from the 70's , I get a view of life and this country I wish everyone could experience.

Just yesterday, while stopped at a rest area for a break, I sat back and enjoyed the pure pleasure of a dog enjoying a game of Frisbee with its owner. Out in the open, never growing tired of chasing down its plastic prey, they played until the owner, more tired than the dog, walked back to her vehicle and they drove off.

We get to see beautiful houses, in beautiful locations, and as we drive by I imagine what it must feel like to live in a paradise like that. But then my attention is averted to another scene, many miles away and realize that for now, I don't want to put down roots just yet. It is much more fun driving by, using my imagination and just for a moment picturing myself living wherever we might be and then moving on without the hassles of the paperwork of selling a house, and the sore back from moving furniture.


We are on our way back to Pipestone for the third time in as many dispatches. When the trailer is loaded, we will be headed to Kent, WA, to a dealer we are very familiar with, then to the Port of Seattle, with a boat destined to Hong Kong, and finally, just across the border, to Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. It is such a short trip into Canada, I'm thinking we will be in and out quicker than it will take to submit and get the paperwork approved. But , until then, you'll find me in my room, admiring my ever changing view.

2 comments:

rosemary said...

I think I see faerie wanderdust on your toes.....also you have no lawn to mow, weeds to pull, a house to clean, snow to shovel...you are blessed you know.

Unknown said...

Yes, I am blessed ...... We are all blessed, the secret is in realizing what blessings we already have, not wanting for what we don't, and knowing that blessings come in many different ways.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin