Thursday, May 10, 2007

QUIET WEEK


It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. Okay, so I stole that from Garrison Keillor, but I don't think he would mind too much. It has been a quiet few days out here on the road. Take a look at the cows, even they seem quite content to loll around and do nothing, but then that's their job. We, on the other hand, have the job of making our way through Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and into Texas. At least this time of year, everything is green and the scenery is nice to look at.

Too bad the heat and the humidity is starting to creep up there too. It was over 90 degrees when we stopped at the rest area in Kentucky to reorganize the trailer. We had left it in a bit of disarray after our last drop and needed to put away the straps, ratchets and sort out the steel. I dare say this wannabe "Southern Belle" was perspiring....Lord have mercy....... but at least I knew my own home brew sweet tea was waiting for me inside the truck when we were finished.

We are always diligent in checking the weather along our route, especially in the Midwest. (Dorothy I don't know how you lived with the tornados) The map showed a lot of green and I thought to myself, rain, humidity, and heat.......forget about the tornados, frizzy hair is not far away. But as we made our way through Kentucky and then Tennessee without a cloud or raindrop I thought, those weather forecasters can't be that wrong. So as we settled in for the night in Arkansas, about 50 miles or so from the Texas border, the sky darkened, the wind picked up, and big fat raindrops began to fall. Then the thunder and lightening started. It rained so hard it looked like a river going down the pavement. Since the electricity was out in the area, the lightening flashes gave us a beautiful light show.

So with just over 700 miles to go to Pharr,and an estimated arrival of early Friday morning, we keep out a watchful eye on the sky, Craig keeps on truckin' down the road, and me......well I'm busy trying to keep my hair tamed and looking for the Chatterbox Cafe for some down home powder milk biscuits......save me a seat Garrison.

2 comments:

rosemary said...

Left a really long message..poof gone....just about frizzy hair and I am jealous of your wonderful trips.

Anonymous said...

Oh forgot when in Quebec one must have poutine which is french fries covered with cheese curds and gravey. Good for you but not the waist line.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin