Wednesday, May 02, 2007

KNOCK ON WOOD

Its like thunder

Its like lightning

The way you love me is frightening

I better knock on wood

That song was going through my head as I stared open mouth out my passenger side window at the spectacle that was going on outside. It all started while we were happily watching "Two and a Half Men" and I kept seeing a flash of light from beneath the window shades we put up at night. Too engrossed in my show to investigate, I thought it was a truck with a wide load and it's lights flashing. That is until the rumble of thunder rattled the truck and then the satellite signal went dead. That will get your attention, after all, we were just 5 minutes from the end of the show. How rude!

The rain started, and it seemed we were right underneath the storm. Craig switched to local TV and found a station with the now familiar scrolling announcement of a major thunderstorm hitting the area. We each took cameras in hopes of capturing some of the light show we were seeing. Do you know how hard it is to capture lighting? All I could get was the sky lighting up, but no actual strikes. Craig was the smart one, he used the video on the camera to capture a couple of lighting strikes. When we have time to figure out how to use that feature on our blog we'll be sure to put it to good use!
I guess we should have been prepared as earlier in the day, in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, as we were leaving a truck stop after our lunch break, it started to rain, and then hail. Small pea sized hail. I've heard of golf ball size hail and would never want to be hit by that, but these little nuggets were hitting quite hard onto the roof and hood of the truck. I tried to get a picture of them, while avoiding getting hit, hence the blurry shot.
So the rain began to let up, and after the light show subsided, and the thunder no longer made it's presence known, we crawled into bed and called it a night. But not before knocking on a little wood for luck. And you know what? It worked, the next day was sunny and clear as we headed towards Tennessee with a different song in my head......... "I was dancin', with my darlin', to the Tennessee Waltz"

2 comments:

rosemary said...

I think you ddid a pretty good job with that camera....looks pretty scary to me!

Anonymous said...

"...when an old friend, I happened to see.
Introduced him to my darlin, and while they were dancing, my friend stole my sweetheart from me."

I love that song too!
Opie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin