Monday, May 21, 2007

FAMILY TIES


Starting out Sunday morning it felt strangely familiar as if we had just gone this way last Wednesday. Oh wait.... we did, but we were confident there would be no phone calls telling us to return back to the boat plant. As we passed through Jamestown, North Dakota I was able to take a picture of ENZMINGER BUILDERS. Now my father was born in Fargo, just East of Jamestown. Enzminger, (my maiden name)especially spelled this way is not common, so I had to ponder that who ever started this business must be a relative. I've never much been into genealogy, but it would be interesting to know, just how many relatives I might have living in the area.

We had an uneventful day driving through North Dakota to the Canadian border. Approaching the border, again my anxiety level increased. As I have written before, no two border crossing are ever the same and this proved to be no exception. We must have gotten a new, right out of training, Customs Officer, as she looked to be only 18 years old. She asked us every question in the book, making sure we verbally stated our answers instead of our usual shaking of the head "no". We paused when asked if we were ever asked to go inside and talk to immigration. Now I know we have been sent to Canada a lot lately, but immigrating was not an option I wanted to utilize.

With a stamp of approval on our paperwork, we were headed to our stop for the night, Regina, Saskatchewan which was also a fuel stop. We ran into another boat hauler from another company who had been at the truck stop since Saturday. He must have been lonely with his extended stay during the Victoria Day holiday, that he seemed to stalk Craig where ever he went to chat. Safely tucked away inside our truck watching our DVD's of Grey's Anatomy, it started to rain, and continued to rain throughout the night.

Out on the road Monday morning it was like we had the entire highway to ourselves. I think the rain put a damper on the Canadian holiday and most people were staying home. With a stop in Lloydminster for a break, we arrived in Edmonton for our last fuel stop. We decided to stay at the dealership, instead of the truck stop, in hopes of being the first one there to get unloaded. We had seen several trucks with boats and not knowing if they were going to the same destination, did not want to be the last one to the dance. Sadly, we were not the first one there, as another driver was already parked to be first to be unloaded. Damn........seems we weren't the only one with a plan.

2 comments:

rosemary said...

oops sorry about the Fargo comment....I have gotten my atlas out...need to find these places...email on the way. I don't watch GA but did see the last episode....I didn't get it.

Unknown said...

Diane !!

I love visiting your site and getting your updates. I miss you !!!! What a wonderful adventure you and Craig are living. Wow, 45 states and 7 Canadian Provinces so far. Too bad there isn't a road trip planned to Hawaii !! Just wanted to let you know I was thinkin of ya'll and tunin' in to your blogs!!

xoxox
Tara

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin