Monday, July 24, 2006

IF THIS IS MONAY, IT MUST BE NEBRASKA

After dropping off the boat mold in Roseburg, Oregon, we got the word to head towards Moses Lake to pick up a Genie Z-80 destined for Kearney, Nebraska. Since we didn't get the notification until late in the afternoon, we were only able to make it to a rest stop East of Hood River, Oregon before we had to stop for the night. I have to say, the ride along Highway 84, which runs along side the Columbia River was quite pleasant. This is what we awoke to from the cab of our truck in the morning.



The drive into Moses Lake showed us that even Washington State is not immune to the heat wave that is blanketing the nation. By the time we pulled into the Genie Yard the temperature had hit over 100 degrees. Once again, Craig and I were drenched by the time we got that Genie loaded. We headed back into town to use the scales at a local truck stop to make sure we were within regulations.




Now most of you know me, and know how I loved "Two for Tuesday Starbucks" at work, or that I had a Starbucks at least once a day. This is the level I have stooped to, to get my fix:




Not as good as going to the original source, but in a pinch it will do. So imagine my delight when we pulled into the truck stop and saw this right across the street.




I wouldn't have cared how hot it was outside, I marched myself right over there, with Craig trying to keep up, and got myself not one, but two Iced Venti Lattes. We purchased a newspaper and enjoyed the "real deal" and the air conditioning and caught up on what is happening in the world.

With a quick stop at the Company Yard in Spokane, we had the truck serviced, some tires changed, and our laundry washed. Wanting to hit the road before the heat got too bad, we were off and headed towards Montana.

Our travels were pretty much uneventful except for a DOT sign along side the freeway warning us of low visibility due to smoke. As we went further we began to see the smoke. I tried to get a picture of the actual wildfire but it was too far up into the mountains. I'm not sure this photo truly depicts the amount of smoke in the air.

Saturday night we spent at a roadside parking area and Sunday found us just outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming at a truck stop where we had a fuel stop. We were up early Monday to get to our final destination in Kearney, Nebraska to drop off the Genie.

You can see me hard at work helping to unchain the Genie. It was starting to heat up too, so we were in and out in 45 minutes. We are getting real good at this.



Another thing we have been getting real good at lately is sitting around and waiting for our next assignment. We are currently at a truck stop, with the A/C blasting, Craig is taking a nap, and I of course, am perusing the internet. Hey, it could be worse, I could have to actually work for a living. I prefer this any day. Stay tuned to where our next adventure will takes us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to hitch a ride on that truck as work sucks here lately!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin