Saturday, August 02, 2008

UPDATES ON BOTH OF US

CRAIG - He made his deliveries in the LA area Friday afternoon, and managed to get his next assignment to the Miller Brewing Company, in Irwindale, and make the drive to their facility in Friday rush hour traffic, before his driving hours for the day were used up. He didn't complete getting the trailer loaded until 5am Saturday morning, which included a nice 6 hours of detention pay. After finding the little gas station with the CAT scale, and scaling out legal, he started his trek northward with the final destination being Coeur D' Alene, ID.

Somewhere between LA and French Camp, CA, it was determined that he would be 4 hours short on his driving hours to make it into Idaho for his delivery appointment. He was instructed to go to the yard and swap trailers with another driver. Craig was more than happy to have the downtime in French Camp waiting for the other driver to arrive. They swapped trailers, and he now has frozen french fries to take to Long Beach, CA, for a Monday delivery. That should give him time to let his driving hours catch up and he will be in good shape for a load going into Washington.

ME - I left Modesto Friday morning, with a fuel stop at the Starbucks before hitting the freeway. I made it as far as Woodland, CA before finding a Pilot Travel Plaza for a pit stop. I think everyone else traveling that day had the same idea, as the line for the woman's rest room was growing fast and long, and it didn't help that there were only 3 stalls. But, mission accomplished and back on the road I went crossing the border into Oregon and a fuel stop in Redmond.

I had decided to stop at the Safeway in Madras for some bottled water and a bite to eat before stopping at a rest area about 2o miles further down the road for the night. With my blanket and pillow, I found the most comfortable position and got some sleep before heading back out in the morning for my final destination of Walla Walla, WA. I have to say, that we have noticed quite a bit more passenger cars making use of the rest areas for sleeping than in the past, and this rest area was no exception. When I left in the morning I counted about 15 cars in the lot.

After a stop to stretch my legs on Interstate 84, by the Columbia River, and a phone call from Craig, I made it to my friend's house by 9:30. We didn't waste much time catching up and took advantage of the below normal cool temperature to take in the local Farmer's Market and sights around town. Then it was back to the cottage they had built to live in, while their main house is being constructed on 10 acres of land, with magnificent views of the Walla Walla valley.

This evening I will continue my trek north to our home and try to sort through all the belongings that have been my travel companions the last few days, as I wait to hear from Craig and find out when he will arrive in Spokane. If I have enough time, and after being inspired by my BFF Cori, I just may try to add some color to my stark white walls, and infuse a little bit of personality into our house. What a surprise that will be for Craig!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin