Friday, June 06, 2008

VEGETARIAN?

Like most people, I never gave much thought to where the food I eat comes from. The farmer who works the soil to grow the grains, fruits, and vegetables, and the rancher who tends to the chickens, pigs, and cattle. But yesterday, I had that knock upside the head, that reality check, that gave me a very clear picture of what has been going on for centuries.

We were sitting at AB Foods, in Toppenish, WA, also know as Washington Beef, waiting for our trailer to be loaded with boxed meat, when I saw the cattle truck pull into the business. The cattle inside the trailer moving around inside and bleating their displeasure of being confined inside. For me, it was a shock to know that the cattle inside were just hours away from being processed into the food we eat. Now I'm no activist, and will this stop me from ever eating anything that was once a living, breathing animal? Probably not, but for just an instant, I thought about it.

On a lighter note, also while sitting and waiting, I watched as what looked like a stray dog, with no collar and a little catch in his get along, ambled on past us and into the loading dock area. I even mentioned it to Craig, who was too involved in his portable PlayStation game to even give my comment a second thought. But when I started laughing out loud, he stopped long enough to ask me what was so funny, and I told him what I had seen. There he was, that same stray dog, now with a new found strut, and no hint of a hind leg problem, happily strolling back from where he had come from, with a very large and meaty bone firmly gripped within his mouth. That was one very happy dog!

2 comments:

Mark Krusen said...

My son didn't eat meat for months the first time I took him on a trip with me and we went into a meat plant.On the way in there were acres and acres of beef cattle just waiting their turn.

The memory faded and he is now a meat lover. I guess he just blocked it from his mind what he saw before.

P.S. I Love my fair share of meat myself.

Mom said...

I prefer to bury my head in the sand and not know where the steak on my plate comes from.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin