Thursday, June 19, 2008

IN SEARCH OF A BLOW DRYER

I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise, when my faithful blow dryer of 10 years finally gave up and started spewing metal parts and smelling of burnt electronics the last time I used it. Thankfully, I was just about done drying my hair before the flat iron did it's damage, so I wasn't too worried about finding another one before I washed my hair next. Little did I know, it is taking an act of congress to find one.

All of the travel plazas only carry a 12 volt dryer which is meant more for defrosting windows than trying to tame my mop of hair. We figured we would stop at our friendly Wal Mart in Redmond, OR, but soon found out that they rerouted the highway around it. A stop at a local Safeway also proved to be useless.

So this morning, after taking my shower, I let my hair do it's thing. If I wasn't so vain, I would have taken a picture of the life my hair took on as it slowly dried. But as we made our way into Prosser, WA for a break at the Starbucks right across from a rest area, (my husband loves me), I went to work on it with my flat iron and I am here to tell you, all is right with the world again. And if I don't find a blow dryer before the next shower, I know I can survive just fine without it.

I last left you when we were getting our trailer tire replaced in Lebec, CA. That went smoothly, and we were headed north with what little fuel we could put in the tanks and hoping to get the green PrePass light at the weigh stations. We were successful in that endeavor, and we made it safely on fumes into the Flying J in Corning, CA for the evening.

Up early Wednesday morning, we headed to our next fuel stop in Chemult, OR where we threw caution to the wind and fueled up with as much as we dared and took on the one weigh station we knew we would have to cross near Madras, OR. Of course it was open, and as we slowly crossed we watched the numbers flash across the readout. It was over on the drive axle, but we were well below the maximum gross and we received the green light and were thankful to be on our way.

After our aforementioned break at the Starbucks, we rolled into the receivers gates for our 10am delivery time. A smooth back up into the open dock, and as I type this, we are being unloaded. I for one will be happy to have this load off the trailer and will be hoping we receive a much lighter load when we finish up here. I figure the odds of that, are about as good as me finding that darn blow dryer.

2 comments:

Mark Krusen said...

It's always a relief to get those heavy ones off the trailer isn't it. Good luck on getting a light one next.

rosemary said...

There must be a hair dryer conspiracy going on...Evil Twins Wife's blew too....and my vacuum, and my computer. I have let my hair just do what it wants for years now. Now one notices if it is coifed or not. My daughter is a flat iron junky too. It is never far from her....she even takes it to work.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin