Monday, July 16, 2007

SUMMERTIME ON THE SHORE


The rest of the ride into Virginia went very well. I couldn't believe though, the amount of traffic on Sunday, both going towards and going away from Virginia Beach. I can only imagine what it must be like on weekdays. We were fortunate to find a truck stop (and I use that term loosely), about 8 miles from the dealership. Walking into the restaurant and convenience store was like walking back into the 1950's. I don't think they have done anything to improve or modernize this facility since it was first built, but it did give us a place to park for the night, and for that I was grateful. After all, as I told Craig, once we put up our privacy shields around the windows, I could imagine myself anywhere but there.



This really is quite a beautiful area, surrounded by water, with wonderful little beach houses and high rise condos lining the shoreline. On our way to the dealership we passed by a new condo complex advertising available units. I quickly went online to see what these gems on the water were going for. The lowest unit was going for around $900,000 with most others well above one million. Right now the low cost housing of the truck we have sounds pretty good. Besides, my views are always changing, but living in one of those units, I just might find myself getting used to the humidity.


We arrived at the dealership right at 8am and saw that there was another driver there as well. However, they wanted us to off load first since they could get our boats off with a forklift due to the way they were loaded. This was one of the fastest unloads we have had in awhile. Of course it helped that Craig had all the toys to make it go faster such as a hydraulic jack to lift the lowest boat up for the forklift and the impact wrench to make fast work of putting the tires on the trailer. The employees were very grateful for the help and in just 30 minutes we were unloaded and finishing putting away the straps and steel framing.


With an empty call sent on the computer to dispatch we headed back to the wonderful aforementioned truck stop to sit and wait. I'm hoping we will not have to wait too long to hear where we will be heading. But if we do? I'll just put up the window shields and imagine I'm on the 6th floor of that new condo complex enjoying my summertime on the shore.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Go to the beach while you are there. The water is warm, heated by the gulf stream there are some fine eateries in town too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin