Thursday, July 26, 2007

HEADING HOME FROM NO MAN'S LAND

After a restless night of sleep, although I was thrilled to see Craig resting comfortably during the night, we made it into Odessa, and the appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. We really liked this doctor who had a great personality and listened patiently to our saga of that last few days. After obtaining the CAT scan from the ER, and doing a series of tests on Craig, he determined he had extensive loss of reflex in his right leg, and the most likely culprit was a compressed nerve. He advised us to get back to California as soon as we could and said that Craig was okay to travel, that no further damage would be done as long as he was comfortable.

The doctor recommended flying home, but since we had the rental car, and Craig was very comfortable in the reclining front seat, we opted to drive back to Selma where we will stay with Craig's parents. The doctor prescribed additional amounts of the medication already prescribed so that we would be able to keep Craig comfortable until we could meet with a doctor in Selma or Fresno. A quick phone call to the rental agency, and the changes were made to be able to drop the car off in Fresno. It turned out to be cheaper than flying anyway.

Okay, everything is falling into place, starting to feel my anxiety level lower a bit, until I called the agency that had rented the wheelchair to us. I informed them that we were going to California and wanted to know what address we could ship the chair back to. They were quick to tell me that the wheelchair could not be taken out of their service area, to which in my mind, I'm thinking, why did I even bother calling them. I should have just taken it and asked for forgiveness later. But back to the phone call. I politely informed them that my husband is unable to walk, how am I going to get him in and out of the car? They were more than happy to tell me I could purchase said wheelchair for $1,000. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless, or maybe it was the silence on the phone which then prompted them to say they do have used wheelchairs for purchase. They found one, which by the way is identical to the one we had in every way, for $450.00. I asked if they could bring it to the hotel to swap out for the loaned one, to which they said they would be happy to. No kidding, I'd be happy to as well, but as I told Craig, with what we have been through this week, that money is nothing compared to the comfort it will give him to be able to get around until he is completely healed.

We plan to leave bright and early Friday morning, stop by the truck in Fort Stockton to take as much personal effects we can with us, and hopefully get as far as the Phoenix area by evening. If we can accomplish that, we should be in Selma by Saturday evening. Craig's parents got us in touch with a local doctor who was able to take Craig's case and see him Monday afternoon. I'll be happy to be back in a familiar area, close to family and friends . Our hope is we are on track to get Craig healed and both of us back out on the road, where we can continue our amazing journey and be able to share it with you once again.

5 comments:

rosemary said...

Good plan. Shame on the w/chair company.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Diane, I feel so bad for both of you! Have a safe drive back to CA and if you need anything, please let me know... we'll do whatever we can to help.

-Gina Hardesty

Mom said...

You are being covered by prayers and wishes for traveling mercies.

Anonymous said...

I am breathing sighs of relief that you are both heading in the right direction again. Believe me, I know what it is like to be stranded in unknown territory with medical problems. When you do get back to "civilisation" and have managed to stabilise the situation completely, please find time to have some "time off" and just zone out, even if its only for a few hours. You are carrying a lot on your shoulders right now, Diane, and you have more to come, so restore that mental energy a little. My thoughts are with you and Craig, as always, with love.

Peter

John said...

"There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

Click Click

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin