Thursday, July 12, 2007

THE BIG EMPTY HOLE


In southeast Chicago, on both sides of the interstate there is a very large quarry. Every time we go through there, and lately it has been often, Craig is mesmerized by this large gaping hole. Me? I don't see the fascination with it. Yes, it is large. Yes, it probably took a very long time to take all that dirt out of there, but that is about how long my interest lasts, about as long as it took for you to read this sentence.


Craig has confessed to me about when he was a little boy, of about 5 or 6, he would take a shovel and dig for hours in the backyard near the porch. Yes, you guessed it, he was trying to dig straight down to get to China. He got about 3 feet down before he lost interest in China and went onto something else. After all, he said to me, in the cartoons they made it to China much faster.

That has to be his love affair with this large hole. That here in Chicago, they were able to dig deeper than he ever could. Being the loving wife that I am, I smile, acknowledge his love for this big empty hole and take the picture for him.

Then Craig, always ready with a come back, and always thinking, points to the side of the road where construction is taking place and says "You know, if I had one of those, I could have dug much further"

"Yes Dear", I reply, "Let's just get through Chicago first, then we can think about digging that hole again".

1 comment:

rosemary said...

In the end it's all about a man and his tools.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin