Wednesday, December 17, 2008

HERE'S THE SCOOP

Yep, here's the scoop. No, seriously, it's a scoop. Okay, because I have been benched, and sitting on the sidelines, I really don't have much to elaborate on as far as Craig's progress. He arrived in Salinas, CA early Tuesday morning, had the trailer washed out, and then dropped it at Fresh Express. He spent the rest of the day, napping and sitting around, waiting for the dispatch details. Those long awaited details did not arrive via the QualComm until around 3:30pm. By then, Craig had put in a 10 hour rest period and we both knew the dreaded night driving would rear it's ugly head again!

By 5pm, he had hooked up to his 12,000 pounds of fresh produce, and fueled the truck and reefer unit, and was headed North. With 900 miles to his final destination of Auburn, WA, he would have to knock out just about half of it Tuesday night. My concern was the weather and him getting over the mountain pass north of Redding.

This morning I received the phone call I wanted from Craig, letting me know he was safe and sound and at a rest area north of Weed, CA. It was about 30 miles short of where I had predicted he would get, and delighted to hear that the roads were clear of snow. I quickly informed him of the road conditions further north and surmised that he would have no problems weather wise until nearing the Portland, OR area, where they were being bombarded as we spoke. But knowing that he would not pass that area for another 7 hours, we both thought the worse might be over by the time he got there.

The plan is to get as far as the Company drop yard in Pacific, WA Wednesday morning by 2am at the latest. The load is due to deliver at 6am, which of course, Craig will not be able to do. It has been reassigned to another driver to pick up in the morning and make the final delivery. Now, to get him headed south again so he can swing by and get me back in the truck. I'm counting on the home made chili to do just the trick.

2 comments:

Mark Krusen said...

Diane,
I know how hard it is watching the routes, praying the roads will be safe, and he will stay awake, and all the fears a wife has, plus missing him while he is gone. I did it for 22 years until Mark got hurt, and there were nights I watched the radar on the weather channel, and the tornadoes, sleet, snow, hurricanes, and wondered how he was doing. I do not miss that worry. Hope you get back in that big rig soon... although time with mom is precious, the days since my mom passed in 1998 have been left with a big void. Keep on writing! Cindy

PrimeTime said...

sounds like you are missing you some Craig. LOL. It wont be long. He will be right back to get you and you will be home again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin