Saturday, December 20, 2008

ADVENTUROUS JOURNEY

This is the kind of stuff my husband lives for........the adventure of man versus the elements. For quite a few years of his life, he lived and drove in the snow. He's not unaccustomed to it, knows how to adjust to slipping and sliding, knows that most times, it not so much what you do, but what others around you are doing.
.
All this doesn't ease my mind much, as I know he will be taking off tonight at midnight to make his way south in an attempt to make his delivery in Long Beach. Odds are that the delivery will not be made on time, but more importantly, is our plan to meet up so that I can get back on the truck. If he can only get to French Camp we can make it work, as long as they don't swap out his load before he gets there and head him back north again..........without me.

Such is the life in trucking, Craig is at least prepared for his middle of the night driving. For the second time in three days, he has put on chains in anticipation of an interesting night of driving ahead of him. He is sitting idle at a rest stop in the middle of no where on Highway 97 in Oregon, waiting until midnight when he gains some driving hours. I think putting those chains on in daylight while he waited at the rest stop was a great idea, except for all the people that kept coming up to him asking if chains were required up the road. I think he got tired of explaining what he was doing.


He has been given instructions to give me updates throughout his travels tonight, kinda like a where's Waldo, via text messages. Sure beats me lying awake all night wondering what his progress is. If you have a moment, say a prayer, not only for Craig, but for all the truck drivers out there, making a living, and driving in conditions that are not fun for anyone........well except my husband, who always did march to a beat of a different drum..... and that's what makes him so darn lovable!

2 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

First paragraph; last sentence--that is the truth! The other driver is the biggest hazard on the road.

Mom said...

He is kinda cute. I do like a man with a beard.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin