Friday, December 19, 2008

30 INCHES IN 24 HOURS

SNOW..... Yes, that is how much snow fell last night in the Spokane area while Craig was tying to make a delivery. Can I just say how proud I am of him, and let's face it, all the other drivers out there, that literally risk their lives out on the roadways during bad weather to deliver the food and items you want. It's amazing how much you forget about the nightmares of winter driving once the snow has melted, until it comes raring back right at you in the middle of the night.

The night driving that I so dreaded has continued. Craig did safely arrive in Pacific, WA around 1am Thursday morning. I was never so happy to receive the text message that he was safe and sound, especially after checking the road conditions and knowing that Interstate 5 was shut down just shy of his exit due to an overturned big rig. Some how it's a bit easier to take when you are together than when parted.

At daylight, and after his 10 hour break, he received his next assignment to head over to the Fred Meyer DC in Puyallup, WA and deliver a load into Spokane, WA that evening. Oh Boy..... here we go again. But my husband, ever the smart fellow, didn't call and tell me any more details until he was almost over Snoqualmie Pass. In the middle of Wal Mart, with my Mom by my side, I think just about anyone in shouting distance could have heard my sigh of relief when Craig called. What I am sorry I missed out on, was the chaining of the truck and trailer. See, Craig made it almost three years in the trucking business without having to chain up. I would have liked to have commemorated the occasion with a photo opportunity, although I'm sure he wasn't near as excited about it as I was.

But the worse would not be over for Craig, because as easily as he made it over the pass in daylight, it quickly turned to night and the snow started falling. The road into Spokane was much worse as the snow plows could not keep up, and the big trucks turned into make shift snow plows as they made their way into the city. Getting to the store on city streets that had not seen a snow plow either was yet another adventure. When he finally arrived, he apologized to the store that it had taken him so long. They in return, were so grateful that he had even made it, ecause there were several trucks that they were expecting, that would not even attempt to get to them until morning.

At around 1am, he finally made it through the massive amounts of snow into the Company yard. This afternoon finds him yet again on the move, heading south into Kennewick, WA to pick up a load of frozen french fries headed to Long Beach, CA. We are both hoping to figure out a way for him to swing by and pick me up, and God willing the roads stay clear enough for him to make it happen!

4 comments:

Barb said...

Craig must be a great driver. I was watching the news Thursday night and saw several big rigs like yours stuck in the snow as they tried to turn the corners in downtown Spokane. We finally got out today and I went down Sunset Hill to the Rosaures in Browns Addition just to get my RX's that I should have gotten on Thursday. The roads are awful and another storm is coming in on Sunday.It would be nice if Mother Nature gave us a break eh?

Drive safely out there.

Mom said...

Thank you for helping to keep food on America's table.Just like the postman, neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail, but you have a ginormous machine to steer through the snow.

Paul Nichols said...

Good driver!! God bless and protect him!

A good report, too.

John said...

I'm ashamed to admit, well, not so much really, that I would have been one of those guys who shut it down.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin