Friday, December 28, 2007

SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF THIS

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something.

I may not be Annie Lennox, and let's face it, nor can I sing like her, but I do know a sweet dream when I see it. We got a load assigned to us Wednesday, late afternoon, delivering three boats to Hudson, Florida. Yes, we will be leaving our nice cold weather we love, and heading towards warm, muggy, Florida. After we were loaded, I called the dealership, thinking they might close down for an extended holiday through New Years, but I was happy to learn they would be able to take delivery on Monday. My hope is to receive a new assignment right away to get me the heck out of Florida and back to cooler weather. My fear is that they won't have anything for us and we will have to sit and see in the New Year in 80 degree temperatures.

After leaving the boat plant we were routed onto a rural state highway through Iowa. We were both watchful to catch a glimpse of any of the Presidential candidates that have converged on this State for the first primary next week. As many of them as there are, I thought for sure we would see a caravan or two, but I saw something even better.
.
Le Mars, Iowa. What caught my eye there, was a large sign proclaiming them to the the Ice Cream Capital of the World. This is my sweet dream. Le Mars is the home of Wells Dairy, the world's largest producer of ice cream in one location. They are most known for their Blue Bunny products. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a love affair with ice cream. I can pass up pies, cakes, pastries, and cookies, but not ice cream. So as we passed the Ice Cream Museum, next to the ice cream plant, I knew there would be no sweet treat for me, unless next time we pass through they enlarge their parking area to accommodate 18 wheelers.
.
The landscape as we made our way through Iowa looked as if it had just had a liberal sprinkling of powered sugar. Everywhere you looked it was white and pristine looking. Making our way into Missouri, and through Kansas City, we stopped for the night in Oak Grove. Talk on the CB was that another storm was coming through and we were expected to get 6-8 inches of snow during the night. At that point, Craig was thinking maybe Florida won't be so back after all. Hearing that, there was only one thing left for us to do. Go inside, get us some ice cream, snuggle up for the evening, and have our own sweet dreams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should be learning some Jimmy Buffet songs. on your way south.

Unknown said...

There is only one I will need in Florida ...."MARGARITAVILLE" Drinks for everyone!

John said...

Ice Scream! You Scream! We all scream for Ice Cream! Ever been to a Cold Stone Creamery? We went there Friday. Man that was some kinda ice cream.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin