Monday, December 17, 2007

THE GHOST OF SUMMER PAST



We were happy to escape Florida Saturday afternoon, especially when we found out there was a tornado in the area where we were. I was looking at the satellite images on my laptop during one horrendous down pour on Interstate 10 and thought I saw an interesting image appear. It wasn't until we stopped for the night, just into Alabama, and started watching the news, that I realized what it was. All that was left of it were some high wind warnings still scrolling across the bottom of the TV screen.

What a difference it made after that storm passed and left a wonderful cold front trailing behind it. We went to bed with fans blowing trying to cool us off and in the middle of the night, the temperatures dropped to the 40's and you could hear both Craig and I sigh with delight. It has stayed in the 40's the last couple of days and hopefully it will last us until we reach California.

Making quick work of driving through Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, we found ourselves staying in the Houston area Sunday night. You won't believe this, but we will be stopping in San Antonio for a fuel stop. You remember right? That fateful 7/22/07 when bending to fill up a trailer tire gave us a three month nightmare. I have forbidden Craig from even looking at a trailer tire while we are there. And get this, we will be staying in Fort Stockton this evening! I know, talk about tempting fate. But what is it they say? When you fall off the bike, get right back on it. Nothing to fear but fear itself? Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. I understand one thing, I'm not that thrilled about being in Fort Stockton again. The ghost of summer past can just keep on truckin' down the road, no need to stop and pay a visit to us, I'd rather face the tornado.
"Auntie Em, Auntie Em....wait up, I'm right behind you."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did u stop in and see the locals that helped u out to show them Craig made a great recovery from your ordeal?

Rod

Pensacola

Unknown said...

Rod -
To be honest with you, it was hard enough just driving by the hospital on the way to the same truck stop. At least we didn't park in the same area. That would have been testing fate too much!

rosemary said...

Catching up and I have had a hard time pulling up your blog for several days....you have seen it all from snow to sun and everything in between. I can't stand the humidity in Florida....heat I can barely tolerate but not that humidity. I would have kept my eyes closed the whole time driving thru the Texas.

Anonymous said...

Not to worry you both have good Karma

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin