Wednesday, September 26, 2007

GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT

I think we have waited long enough, don't you? The day finally arrived, for what we hope will be the cure for Craig's pain. Sure the physical therapy helped him to get out of the wheelchair, but we are still waiting for the day he is pain free enough to return to work, and life as we knew it can return to normal. We know now that we will have to do things differently. Along with daily exercise and stopping and doing a walkabout around the truck every hour or so, we also will need to take more breaks. No more staying out for four months at a time. We will do our best to schedule home time every 6-8 weeks.

We arrived at our scheduled time this morning for the epidural procedure. Only one other person sitting in the waiting room. Craig checked in and with every door opening we heard, the anxiety of waiting to hear his name called built up inside us. When his name was finally called, he was so focused on getting it over with, he never heard me tell him I love you, but I had his wedding ring right next to mine and that gave me some comfort as he walked through the door into that unknown room.

I settled in as comfortably as I could in the typical waiting room chairs, rotating positions from my right butt cheek and then to the left when it became sore from the lack of padding. You would think my own personal padding would have been sufficient, but alas, even that failed to make the chair any more comfortable. With my portable DVD player in hand, I set about watching season 3 of Nip/Tuck. I had barely made it through one episode when I saw Craig come walking out the door. What the #*&@^????? From the information given us prior to the appointment, they said it would take at least 2 hours and here he was back out in 60 minutes.

I tried to gather my stuff as quickly as possible, as Craig, ice bags in hand, started walking towards the car. I knew everything would be okay when the first thing he wanted after having to fast, was a visit to Carl's Jr. With him happily munching away on his Western Bacon Cheeseburger, I drove off towards home in Selma.

Good things come to those who wait? I've gotten good at this waiting game......too good. Funny thing is, after waiting for the epidural, now we wait again.......to see if it works. Good thing I have season 4 of Nip/Tuck ready to go!

1 comment:

rosemary said...

Sounds like you will be careful, rest more and take appropriate steps to see this does not happen again....I am keeping my fingers crossed that all is OK after this.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin