Monday, August 28, 2006

THE SIMPLE LIFE

No I’m not talking Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie here. This is truly the simple life in the Ohio valley we traveled through. You know what I am talking about, the Andy Griffith, Mayberry sort of life. When I think of Americana, I think of areas like Apple Creek and Cadiz, Ohio.




On this early Saturday morning the fog still lingered low to the ground across the green expanse. The old houses lining the roadway take you back in time.




The city of Cadiz is where Clark Gable was born as well as John A. Bingham who prosecuted Abraham Lincoln's assassins. But it was Apple Creek that really caught our eye. I always imagined Amish county in Pennsylvania, but there is a large gathering of the Amish in Ohio. We witnessed them traveling around town in their buggies.




There were signs to warn us to give way




There were also roadside stands in front of their farms selling baskets and produce.



We were transported to another time and place if only for a little while, and I got to tell you, it made me realize this is what America is all about. The right to live your life as you choose.... as simply or as complicated as you want. For me, I'm happy to say I have chosen my own simple life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks for the treats. Looks like you guys are having fun!

Domininck

Anonymous said...

I think I stole this from one of my kids' books...but..."Simple pleasures are best!" I am glad (and envious) you found yours!

Opie

Anonymous said...

Di you sound so happy and content...I thinking long and hard about what to do to find that for myself....Thanks for the updates I love reading your blogs! Miss You Ames

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the PRALINES. I have already opened up my belt one hole.
All is well with us.I am having fun with the camera. The metal detector will probably end up in Idaho. I can find the metal but can not stoop over to see what it is. The conditions come with old age. Continue to have fun-Mom & Dad.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin