Friday, April 13, 2012

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT

I've been scouring our nearby local small town newspaper the last couple of weeks in hopes of finding a yard sale or two.  I've come up empty handed, mostly due to inclimate weather and morning temperatures still hoovering around 30 degrees, but I prevailed yesterday in finding a moving sale and a rummage sale.  With having to drive the 15 miles into town anyway to pick up a few items at the grocery store, it proved a good way to conserve gas and fulfill my need to go on the hunt for some vintage finds.

If it hadn't been for a teeny, tiny sign pointing to a gravel and snow covered road, I might have missed the turn off.  My mind always thinks when I go down these tiny little roads, that maybe I should have let someone know where I was going, and more importantly, hoping that I don't meet another vehicle going the opposite way, as there was barely enough room for our big ole truck.  Luckily, I made it to the home, and found enough parking area in which to turn around to make my exit back out into civilization.

I wasn't too impressed with what they were offering, the usual clothes, tools, and electronics, until I spied out of the corner of my eyes these beauties:
I felt as though the Heavens where shinning down upon me, and when I found out what the owner wanted for them, I could have kissed her!  These three pieces are made entirely out of heavy duty leather, with numerous shipping labels still clinging  to life to it's sides.  They have all the beauty of aging and patina that over 75 years will give to a piece.  I'm estimating their age by a tiny scrap of newspaper I found shoved in a crevice inside one of them, talking about President Roosevelt speaking to Congress in the 1940's.
If only these pieces could talk, the stories they would be able to tell.  The owner said she purchased them in Maryland at an auction many years ago.  The shipping labels only give hints of where they have been, sporting destinations of New York and Philadelphia.  A residential address in Washington D.C. leaves clues to one of the owners which looks like a last name of Campbell, and there are initials of JCW stamped into the leather.
I don't know if I can part with these beauties, as they have found a spot in my heart.  For now they are in my living room with the option of taking them to Walla Walla to sell in Cori's consignment space.  I'll have to see if during my future yard sale hunts, I find something that wins me over more than these did.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So amazingly FABULOUS!

What treasures you stumbled upon this morning.

My vote is to hold on to these babies....they don't come around like these very often.

your BFF-

Unknown said...

So amazingly FABULOUS!

What treasures you stumbled upon this morning.

My vote is to hold on to these babies....they don't come around like these very often.

your BFF-

all things bradbury said...

these are fabulous!!!...i am so envious!!...i agree with cori...i'd hold on to these with an iron fist....lol....and they look great in your house!!

The Daily Rant said...

I LOVE these! Even moreso that you found a newspaper clipping in it. Awesome score!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin