Sunday, July 13, 2008

DESERT MIRAGE

mi·rage –noun
something illusory, without substance or reality

As we were leaving Phoenix, AZ, I was letting my eyes scan the landscape as I do every day, when I saw something my brain couldn't quite accept. In the far distance, coming closer into view, was what looked like a child sitting in the sand playing. My eyes were telling me that this image, still at least a mile away, was real, but my mind was saying, you can't possibly see a child along side the freeway from a mile away. As we got closer, I pointed my vision out to Craig, and as we drove past it, I could finally make out intellectually, that is was in fact an extremely large cutout bill board, but moments before, I would have sworn it was a real child, so lifelike it was in appearance. Driving through Palm Springs, CA, we commented to each other the vast amount of windmills that had been erected throughout the area. As I have mentioned before, we have seen the various components being hauled during our travels, and have always marveled at their size. Last year, we got a first hand view of just how big they are, when we hauled a hub for one of this massive windmills. Ever since we found out that our company now has a contract hauling windmill hubs and blades, Craig has said that he just might want to do that sometime in the future. That's my husband, always looking for ways to experience the most out of everything he does.Arriving at the Company yard around 3pm, we quickly dropped our empty trailer, and then hooked up to our trailer loaded with beer. We had decided to get on the other side of the Grapevine before shutting down for the night. That meant we would have to wait to do laundry and showers until today at the Company yard in French Camp, where we will be stopping for fuel. Having safely left the desert, I'm pretty certain I won't be seeing any more mirages, but you can count on me, to always find something of interest, as I enjoy viewing life from the passenger seat.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Sounds like the heat is getting to your mind. Better cool off a bit by those windmills. LOL

Love the pics though!

Paul Nichols said...

Best billboard I've ever seen. Very creative! Thanks.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin