Thursday, November 01, 2007

HALLOWEEN SPOOKTACULAR

I love this time of year. If asked, Halloween is my favorite holiday and fall my favorite season. I remember as a child, the excitement of going to houses that decorated for the trick or treaters. As an adult, I always tried to go all out and decorate my own home and dress up to hand out the candy. The past two years, I have been out on the truck, and have missed being able to partake in this holiday. I have seen a few drivers that have gotten into the spirit and attached paper pumpkins or spiders to the front of their rigs.

We found ourselves at a rest stop, in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota, as the sun was setting and little ghosts and goblins around the State where getting ready to fill their bags with treats. I looked to my right and noticed this face painted onto one of the trees near where we parked and thought it was appropriate for the evening. We noticed more and more trucks pulling in for the night, and I joked to Craig about going trick or treating. But then I stopped and realized it would most likely be perceived differently and land me in jail.

So, instead we turned on our satellite radio and listened to what they were calling their “Halloween Spooktacular”. We turned off the lights and sat in total darkness and listened to old time radio shows of Frankenstein and the Werewolf. I was hoping for a little fright on this Halloween night, but what we got was an hour of laughing and making fun of the acting. Not quite the spooky evening I was hoping for.

And then it happened. We had just settled into our beds, and we started hearing noises. Craig had just told me the dangers of staying in remote rest areas, at the time, not knowing if he was just telling stories or not. I strained to hear more. There were banging noises and then these “ooooooo” sounds. Some were low pitched, some a little higher, but they were definitely there. “Craig”, I whispered, “Do you hear those noises”? Anticipating my husband saving me from the evil that lurked outside our truck, he calmly rolled over and said “cattle truck”. Enough said.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin