Thursday, April 19, 2007

SOUTHERN LIVING & SWEET TEA


Those of you who know me, know I like my coffee and tea sweet..... well more like a little coffee or tea with my sugar. I do use the substitute sugar which could be a whole other entry as to whether is is good or not, but back to my original thought. I noticed, once we traveled anywhere east of the mountain time zone, whenever we went into a restaurant and ordered tea, they always asked, sweet or not? Yesterday on our way out of Tennessee, we started seeing billboards from McDonald's advertising "It's a Southern Thing......Mickey D's Sweet Tea". We won't be running out to the nearest McDonald's, but I do love saying "sweet tea" with a southern drawl, so much so, that I think Craig just may be tiring of it.

I should update you on our newest assignment. After leaving the docks in Baltimore, and visiting with the Maryland State Police at a weigh station, we headed to Vonore, Tennessee. Getting caught up in the rush hour traffic leaving the Washington DC area made us stop at a truck stop in Toms Brook, VA. Of course, as is usual with our travels, we would be driving by the location of the latest news story, the exit for the site of the Virginia Tech University shooting in Blackburg, VA. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families of that tragedy.

Our assignment is to pick up four boats in Vonore, some very nice Sea Ray's, and deliver one in Boise, Idaho, two in Calgary and one in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Arriving in Vonore Wednesday afternoon, and finding three other trucks waiting, we weren't sure if we would get loaded or have to wait there the night. But to our delight, we were finally ushered into the loading bay around 4pm. With a short drive to a truck stop about 25 miles down the road, we tucked ourselves in for the night.


Thursday morning was a very pleasant drive through Tennessee to Nashville, before we started heading north into Kentucky. I think I have mentioned this before, but Tennessee is a state I could picture myself living in, especially the eastern part. In fact, Craig and I started looking at real estate in the area as a possible second home for us. It has so much greenery, rolling hills and a multitude of waterways in which to enjoy. The slower pace of the South is nice and the cost of living is so much better than California. I think I could be a very convincing Southern Belle, now how about a refill on my "sweet tea"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being Tennessee is my home state (and I am looking to moving back), I have to agree that East Tennessee is a wonderful place!!!

Maybe we could be neighbors!

Opie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin