Sunday, April 22, 2007

HERE'S YOUR SIGN

I find comedian Bill Engvall very funny, and his bit "Here's your sign" is one of the best. He observed a truck driver who got his truck stuck under an overpass have this conversation with a cop:

Cop: You got your truck stuck?

God bless that trucker, without missing a beat he goes: No sir, I was delivering that overpass and I ran outta gas. Here's your sign.

On our travels we see our fair share of all kinds of signs. Some informative, some annoying, some funny, and yes, some signs that remind us that there are people in the world that need these signs to make their way through life.



After leaving Tennessee, we drove through Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming. It has been a very pleasant drive so far. We kept hearing about some bad weather that was suppose to hit the Mid West, and last night while watching TV, they were scrolling thunderstorm and tornado warnings across the bottom of the screen. The wind was blowing pretty good, but we never heard any thunder and thankfully no tornado.



But as we drove near North Platte, Nebraska we saw two truckers who were not as lucky as us. Either they didn't hear the warnings or chose to ignore them, but the tornado found them. The truck in the picture was pushed over onto the side of the road and the other one, well, let's just say, all that was visable was the under carriage of the truck and trailer.

Talk on the CB was that one of the trucks was lifted by the tornado from the Eastbound side and dropped off the side of the road on the Westbound side. Judging from the broken tree limbs, it certainly does look like the trucks went airborne.





I thought I would share some photos I've been able to take over the last couple of days. Taking photos from the passenger seat of the truck can prove to be challenging, not only for me, but for Craig as well. Trying to capture the perfect shot while traveling at up to 65mph can test your resolve, but the passenger side mirror is the real culprit. While I am leaning, trying to get the perfect shot around it, I always seem to get in the way of Craig as he maneuvers through traffic and I block his line of vision to the mirror. I have to admit, that I reluctantly defer taking photos to keep our driving always safe.

When the opportunity arises where we do stop at rest areas, I enjoy taking my camera and having the luxury of snapping some photos with no cumbersome obstacles in my way. When our days of traveling the highways in this truck are over, I plan to print and frame my favorite ones to remind us of our travels and adventures.






My last shot was taken again from the passenger seat while Craig was battling commute traffic as we entered St Louis, Missouri. The sun was just rising, and I thought the big city looked so peaceful before fully coming awake with the morning's activities. So as I leaned forward, Craig reminded ever so nicely that I was once again blocking his mirrors. I snapped this picture, and you know, sometimes you just get lucky.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin