Saturday, February 10, 2007

ONE OF MY WORST FEARS

When I started this new journey in my life, I knew we would eventually have to deal with a couple of fears I have; being out in the middle of no where and having a medical or dental emergency. Now my family and closest friends know about my dental phobia. It took me years to find a dentist I was comfortable with and now have the smile and dental health I have always wanted. That comfort came to an end Wednesday evening in Kenmare, North Dakota when an unpopped kernel of corn which was hidden in a popped piece of corn took on a tooth. Let me just say, the unpopped kernel of corn won the battle. With agonizing reality of hearing the crack of a tooth, I knew that something dreadful had happened. It was one of my front teeth so I couldn’t even hide it. I tried to convince myself that it would be okay, but the nerve in the tooth told me otherwise.

  
After a short period of panic and wondering what I could do with my dentist 1500 miles away, we thought about our options. We knew we had to get to Pipestone, Minnesota Friday morning to pick up a load of boats. As soon as we were able to get an internet connection I started surfing the web for dentists in Pipestone. Having found one that had some experience in cosmetic dentistry I wrote down the number and called the office first thing Thursday morning. I told the receptionist of my dilemma and that I would be able to be at their office first thing Friday morning. Thankfully they agreed to see me.

  
The dental office was only 2 miles from the boat plant, so upon rising Friday morning, we unhooked the trailer and Craig drove me to the office. Five hours later, with an emergency root canal performed and a temporary cap put on what was left of the tooth,, I happily walked out of their office without pain.

  
I learned a few things the last couple of days. One, that dentists taking patients from out of town, even with having dental insurance, want their money in full when you leave. Two, that when a emergency happens there is always a way to find what you need ,even when you are in unfamiliar places, and three, that the unpopped kernel of corn may have won the battle, but it will not win the war.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin