Wednesday, June 07, 2006

OBSERVATIONS FROM THE ROAD

We ended up staying at Belfield, North Dakota, at a very small, if you could even call it a truck stop. Basically a Conaco store, equivalent to our 7/11 stores and a dirt patch of ground for about 10 trucks to park. We hoofed it on foot to a Trapper's Skillet restaurant across the road. It was very nice, however as you walk into the restaurant,instead of someone greeting you and seating you and giving you a menu to look over, we were handed a menu, told to order and pay there before sitting down. While we're looking over the menu, more and more people walk in and there is a gathering of about 10 people all huddled around menus trying to figure out what to order. We placed our order of salads and then were told the drinks were self serve. Let's face it, everything was self serve there, from getting your own silverware and drinks and for a minute we thought we were suppose to bus our own table too! The inside was of course trapper inspired to the stuffed dead animals lining the walls to the traps and of course old iron skillets too. The middle of the restaurant had a soup/salad bar which was made into an old ship with a canoe off to the side also for serving food. I wish I had taken my camera with me to take a picture.

We headed off very early at 4am towards Montana. Now, I don't suppose too many people can say they saw the world's biggest metal sculpture called "Geese in Flight", but I can count Craig and I among them. I have a picture to prove it.


The following picture is along Highway 94 through North Dakota before hitting Montana.


Now, ever since we started driving in Minnesota, I observed they bale hay a bit different than California. Instead of the rectangle bales of hay, they gather it into big round circles of hay. Every where you look you see these big round bales of hay. See picture below.


These last pictures are from Montana.



We expect to be in the mountains of Montana tomorrow on our way to Kalispell to drop off the boat. We will be in Calgary by Friday morning. We will not have access to the internet for a few days, so expect a big update when I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane and Craig!!

Di Glacier National Park looks beautiful! I am going to have to put that on my list of must sees! Sounds like you having a good adventure. I have been having an adventure here too...I am sure Cori will fill you in. Safe Trucking! Ami

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin