Friday, May 19, 2006

A TASTE OF WHAT MY LIFE WILL BE


This is my first official photograph in my co-pilot seat in our new home. I was very excited to meet up with Craig again after almost four weeks, but even more excited to experience life on the road. We met up in French Camp and to our surprise, when we were going to get something for dinner, we ran into Curtis, the recruiter that had hired Craig. We went out for what is now a ritual among us, Chinese food, and had a very enjoyable evening catching up with Curtis. He even asked if we would be able to attend his recruiting presentation in the morning at the truck school where Craig had graduated and bring the truck to show the student drivers. We were happy to help Curtis out.

I spent my first night in my new bed, and as Craig had told me, it was quite comfortable, we even can fit on the lower bunk together! As most of you know the weather has been quite warm in the valley this past week and Wednesday was no exception. So Craig idled the truck and we had the air conditioner blowing. After a few hours and some icicles forming from the upper bunk, we shut the engine down and slept quite comfortably the rest of the evening.

In the morning we headed to the Western Pacific Truck School for the presentation. The students were intrigued with the truck and the boat we were hauling. They asked us a multitude of questions from how to drive in snow to how the dispatchers treat you. After about 45 minutes we were finally on the road to Santa Rosa to drop off the boat.

Okay, so ever since Craig started driving I have been fascinated with weight stations and what goes on there. Here is my first experience going through the scales.


Now I can't tell you that it was very exciting, but I did find it interesting, and I'm still not sure how it all works, but Craig safely passed through two of them without incident.

After a few hours we arrived in Santa Rosa. I can truly say that I am quite impressed with Craig's driving and how he maneuvers that huge truck and trailer around with ease. The boat dealer in Santa Rosa was on a very busy 5 lane street with a very narrow driveway which Craig had to back into from the street. I marveled at how Craig was able to stop traffic in both directions and back the truck and trailer right into that driveway without incident. The photo shows the boat getting unloaded off the trailer.


I couldn't close this entry without showing you Craig hard at work.


I thoroughly enjoyed my time out on the road and can not wait until I am on the truck for good June 1st.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin