Saturday, December 02, 2006

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

We often commented to each other that as much as we are on the road we are bound to see our share of accidents (never ourselves involved) and accidents occurring in front of us. We have seen the post accident aftermath, but today, on Highway 10 we saw one happening. I think it was a blessing that what caught our eye was the huge dust cloud in the center divider, and thankfully the car coming to rest just into the fast lane and not coming any further into our lane. As we passed it, I commented that I didn't think anyone could have survived it, and Craig, with his EMT training stated he had to stop and render assistance.
  
Off Craig went with protective gloves in hand, while I stayed behind to call 911 and give all the information I always hoped that I would receive when taking one of these types of emergency calls when I was a dispatcher. There were plenty of people standing around the car, but once they saw Craig, they parted and let him get to work. I was happy to hear later that there was only one occupant inside the vehicle, an elderly lady, who I am happy to say was very much alive, although injured.

I found out from another truck driver who was behind her that she drove off into the median and rolled her vehicle four times before coming to a stop. I had a lot of things to be thankful for. One, the lady did not seem to have any life threatening injuries, two, that no other vehicles or people were involved, and three, that there are still people, like my husband, that will put themselves at risk to stop and help someone else. In fact, when I looked around, the majority of the people who had stopped were truck drivers. Whatever your stereotypical idea of truck drivers might be, I have often witnessed them being the most helpful in times of need.
  
So as the sun set in the desert, we continued on our way praying for the drivers quick recovery, thanking the Lord for keeping us safe for another day, and for the way of life we live which lets us enjoy nature's beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are knights in blue and chrome armor! On that motorist's behalf, thank you and the other truckers who stopped. It is nice to know there are still people who will help out in this world.

opie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin